Can I drive with non-owner SR22 insurance?

Can I drive with non-owner SR22 insurance?

When you don't own car, you can reinstate your license and drive with non-owner SR22 insurance. Call today for a low non-owner SR22 rate!

Can I drive with non-owner SR22 insurance?


If you have a suspended license, can you reinstate it without a car? Yes, you can reinstate your license and drive with non-owner SR22 insurance. Non-owner insurance coverage is somewhat different from an owner/owner-operator SR22 policy that involves insuring a vehicle. Since you aren’t insuring a car, non-owner SR22 insurance costs less. However, you are limited in the type of coverage and in the vehicles you can drive. The insurance required with a non-owner policy is the same as an owner policy; however, it is secondary to a vehicle owner’s insurance.

To drive with non-owner SR22 insurance, you first need an insurance agent to write a non-owner insurance policy for you. They will then endorse an SR22 certificate to the policy and file it with your state DMV. (more…)

There are certain situations when you may need to get SR22 out-of-state insurance. Most states have an SR22 insurance program, which allows people to reinstate their suspended driver’s license. Out-of-state SR22 insurance is also known as a secondary SR22 filing or cross-state SR22 insurance. This type of insurance guarantees that you stay in compliance with an active SR22 obligation you have in another state. (more…)

One of the first questions that come to mind after your driver’s license suspension is, how long will I need SR22 insurance? Each person’s case is different, considering the violation or circumstance that led to their license suspension. (more…)

What situations require getting a cross-state SR22 without a car? Consider the following case: Your state requires you to have SR22 insurance for a specific reason (such as driving without insurance). You don’t own a car, so you get a non-owner insurance policy with an SR22 filing. (more…)

If you owned a vehicle when you first bought SR22 insurance, do you still need SR22 if you sell your car? The answer is yes. If your state requires you to carry SR22 insurance, it doesn’t matter if you own a car or not. What matters is the length of time your state requires you to have SR22 insurance. (more…)

If you don’t own a vehicle, you might wonder if you need insurance to drive a borrowed car. In general, you may borrow a friend’s or family member’s car as long as they have valid insurance and you don’t live in the same household.

What to know if you borrow someone’s vehicle

You don’t necessarily need to have your own insurance to drive a borrowed car on an occasional basis. As long as you don’t frequently drive the same borrowed vehicle, the owner’s auto insurance will cover you in the same way as it protects them. However, you should know several things before you drive someone else’s vehicle:

  • You need the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle.
  • The vehicle owner must carry insurance on the car.
  • Make sure that current proof of insurance card and vehicle registration paperwork are in the glove compartment.

A vehicle owner’s insurance will not cover you in the following circumstances:

  • If you drive their car without permission.
  • If the vehicle owner has not insured the vehicle you’re driving.
  • When you don’t have a valid driver’s license.
  • If you get into an accident with their car while driving under the influence.
  • When you live in the same household as the vehicle owner.

Most insurance underwriters require anyone living in the same home as a vehicle owner to be listed on the owner’s insurance policy as a driver. If they aren’t listed, the vehicle owner’s insurance will not cover them.

Suppose you live in a vehicle owner’s household, and they add you as a driver on their insurance policy. In that case, any moving violation on your record will increase their insurance rate. Some insurance companies go back three years on your record; some companies look as far back as five years.

Insurance to drive a borrowed car if you don’t own a vehicle

Are there situations when you might need insurance to drive a borrowed car? Not if you meet the criteria described above. However, if you frequently borrow someone’s car, getting a non-owner insurance policy is a good idea. Here’s why:

Every state requires vehicle owners to carry minimum liability insurance coverage. Assume you borrow a friend’s insured vehicle and get into an accident. The insurance on the car covers damage and injury up to the limits of the policy. But what if claims exceed those limits, and how are they paid? A situation like this is when non-owner insurance comes to the rescue, especially if you frequently drive a borrowed car.

Non owner insurance coverage pays claims that exceed a vehicle owner’s insurance coverage. It offers peace of mind and is relatively inexpensive, so it’s an excellent option for insurance to drive a borrowed car. Another advantage of carrying non-owner insurance is getting a continuous coverage discount on insurance if you buy a car in the future.

Non-owner SR22 insurance to drive a borrowed car

If you’re not a vehicle owner and have a suspended driver’s license, you’ll need SR22 non owner insurance for license reinstatement. Your insurance provider will endorse the SR22 certificate to a non-owner insurance policy and file it with the state. This filing allows you to resume driving privileges as long as you keep the insurance policy up to date for the time your state requires it (usually one to three years).

UltraCar Insurance specializes in providing non-owner insurance, with or without an SR22 endorsement. We’ll quickly file an SR22 certificate with your state when you’re eligible for license reinstatement. Or, if you want non-owner insurance to drive a borrowed car for the added protection it offers, call us or click the quote button to get started today!

If you have a suspended driver’s license and need SR22 insurance, can you get SR22 without a car? Yes, you can. It’s called non-owner SR22 insurance. When you don’t own a vehicle, you may sometimes drive a friend’s or relative’s car if necessary. But you need a valid driver’s license to do so. (more…)

When you have a license suspension after a DUI conviction, and you don’t own a vehicle, you’ll buy FR44 non owner insurance Florida for reinstatement. When you’re eligible for license reinstatement, you’ll need to choose an FR44 insurance provider to issue and file your certificate with the state. (more…)

Our Florida and Virginia clients frequently ask, “Do I have to keep my FR44 if I move out of state?” And it’s a valid question, because Florida and Virginia are the only states that require an FR44 specifically for DUI or DWI license suspensions. (more…)

If you own a motorcycle and need to file a Virginia FR44 Insurance certificate, you can obtain Virginia FR44 motorcycle insurance. UltraCar Insurance can endorse your FR44 certificate to a motorcycle insurance policy. (more…)


Get An UltraCar Insurance Quote

Please fill out the form below, providing as much information possible, in order to quickly receive your UltraCar Insurance quote today!

* Required fields.
** Msg&data rates may apply. To unsubscribe, text STOP to 313131 (393939 in Canada). For help text HELP anytime. Available in USA & Canada. Up to 1 msg/mo. Your privacy is always protected and your information will not be shared. Powered by Ez Texting.