In several states, you can purchase broad form vehicle insurance as a way to file an SR22 certificate for license reinstatement. Broad form insurance covers a single policyholder, rather than insuring a particular vehicle. In most cases, people purchase this kind of policy as non owner SR22 insurance without a car. Your state of residence and an insurance company’s underwriting determine whether you can buy this type of insurance as a non owner or auto owner’s policy.
Broad form vehicle insurance has strict limitations:
When you need SR22 insurance, it can be tempting to buy a broad form policy because of its low cost. But you need to know some facts to avoid the possibility of severe financial repercussions.
- Broad form insurance covers ONLY you when driving a car you own, or or one borrowed with the owner’s permission.
- It does not provide coverage for anyone else to drive your vehicle. You cannot let anyone else drive your car for any reason.
- Coverage does not apply if you drive a motor home or motorcycle, or when driving for business purposes.
- It does not cover damage to any vehicles you own or borrow to drive or to any company cars you operate.
- This type of policy provides liability-only coverage. It does not include comprehensive, collision, or uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
What’s the best kind of SR22 policy if I own a car?
To avoid a rate increase on your current auto policy, you can purchase broad form SR22 insurance as a non owner policy. Doing this keeps the SR22 separate from your present auto insurance. If your insurance company can’t add an SR22 to your current auto policy, a broad form or regular non owner SR22 policy may be a suitable alternative.
Which states offer broad form vehicle insurance?
UltraCar Insurance writes broad form policies in the states listed below. This insurance can be written as a stand-alone policy or with an SR22 endorsement.
Insurance regulations vary from state to state. Talk with an experienced UltraCar Insurance agent to find out if broad form vehicle insurance is a suitable option for you.
This article was last updated on April 5th, 2020 by UltraCar Insurance