When you want to reinstate your license, and you don’t own a vehicle, you’ll have to buy SR22 non owner insurance. UltraCar Insurance provides SR22 filings in 34 states. We’ll quickly file your certificate with the state DMV as soon as you’re eligible for license reinstatement.
Reasons for SR22 non owner insurance:
You can purchase this insurance with or without an SR22 certificate. However, in many cases, people buy it with an SR22 endorsement to reinstate their driver’s license. This type of insurance allows you to legally drive a non-owned vehicle while the state requires you to carry SR22 insurance. You must keep the policy current during that period. Circumstances of each person’s license suspension vary; however, most people must carry this insurance for three years. If you don’t keep your policy current, the state will suspend your license again and may assess additional fines or penalties.
The state can require you to carry non owner SR22 insurance for:
- Driving without state-mandated insurance coverage
- Accumulating excess points on your driving record
- Refusing to submit to a DUI test
- Driving under the influence (DUI or DWI)
- Reckless driving
- Court judgments
- Nonpayment of child support
How does non owner insurance work?
SR22 non owner insurance is a secondary insurance policy with liability-only coverage. If you cause an accident when driving a borrowed vehicle, this insurance pays claims that exceed the vehicle owner’s insurance coverage. And non owner insurance coverage only pays claims of the other party involved in the accident. It won’t cover damage to the vehicle you were driving or for injury to any passengers in the car with you. So before you drive someone’s car, you must have their permission and confirm that the vehicle is insured.
Limitations and exclusions
Because non owner policies don’t insure a vehicle, they exclude:
- Comprehensive and collision coverage
- Towing charges
- Operating rental, commercial, and employment-related vehicles
- Cars owned by others in your household
- Vehicles you can drive frequently
Related articles of interest:
- Late SR22 payments during the pandemic
- I have no car but need SR22 insurance
- Non Owner SR22 vs SR22 Insurance
- SR22 DUI Insurance
- SR22 insurance quotes without a vehicle
- What is Broad Form SR22 Insurance?
Talk with an UltraCar Insurance agent if you have any questions about your situation. We’re here to assist you, from providing SR22 non owner insurance quotes to the filing and renewal of your certificate. Call or click to start your quote today!
This article was last updated on December 16th, 2021 by UltraCar Insurance