There are a variety of reasons for SR22 insurance, in which drivers are required to file an SR22 certificate with their state. SR22 insurance goes beyond a state’s mandatory auto insurance laws: In addition to providing proof of insurance, SR22 insurance is a guarantee that you will be properly insured for a specific period of time in the future. When you are required to have SR22 insurance, your state will notify you of this in writing. In most cases you will file an SR22 certificate to reinstate your driving privileges after a license suspension or revocation.
Common reasons for SR22 certificates to be filed:
- DUI / DWI convictions
- Accumulating too many points on your DMV driving record
- Being involved in an uninsured accident
- Having an excess of at-fault accidents that lead to being classified as a high risk driver
- Driving without insurance (not being able to provide proof of insurance if stopped for a traffic violation)
- Applying for a hardship license
- Being involved in child support or neglect cases
- Court assigned legal judgments
SR22 requirements and costs can vary between states, so it’s good to have a basic understanding of how SR22 insurance costs are determined. Contact your state department of motor vehicles to find out what circumstances require a proof of financial responsibility filing. Generally, you’ll be required to carry SR22 insurance without lapse for 3-5 years, depending on your specific reasons for SR22. The starting date for an SR22 filing varies, and may begin with the date of the offense, date of the conviction, date of the license suspension or license reinstatement.
Whatever your reasons for SR22 insurance, call UltraCar Insurance. We work with top rated insurance companies, and provide cheap affordable SR22 insurance rates. We offer competitive SR22 insurance quotes and quickly file your owner or non owner SR22 insurance certificate. Our agents are licensed in state in which we operate, and can answer your questions about reasons for SR22 insurance requirements.