How to get an out of state SR22 filing

Our agents will simplify the process of getting an out of state SR22 filing. Don't risk license suspension - call us today.

Start Your Quote
How to get an out of state SR22 filing

Do you need to get an SR22 filing in another state?

You can get an out of state SR22 filing whether you own a vehicle or not. Can you cancel your SR22 policy if you move to another state? No – you should not cancel or stop making payments on your policy before completing your SR22 requirement. If you do, the state will suspend your license. With a suspended license, the state you move to will not issue you a driver’s license there.

If you have an active SR22 and move to another state, you’ll need to get an out of state SR22 filing to be able to drive in your new state. Some states don’t have an SR22 program, but every state honors this requirement.

When moving to another state, it might enter your mind to cancel your SR22 policy, assuming you no longer need it. However, if you cancel or stop payments on your policy, the state that holds your certificate will suspend your license. If you have a suspended license in one state, another one will not issue a license in theirs. Obtaining an insurance policy in your new state and filing a cross-state SR22 will clear that hold on your license.

Reasons for out of state SR22 filings

1. To reinstate a suspended driver’s license so you can obtain a license in another state.

2. To complete an active SR22 obligation. If your policy lapses, you’ll be unable to obtain a driver’s license in another state. You’ll need to buy an insurance policy in your new state, and file an out of state SR22 certificate in the state that requires it.

3. If you get a DUI in another state than the one you live in. Situations like this are different in each case, and can be complicated. Give us a call and we’ll guide you through the steps to take in a case like this.

What if your new state doesn’t have an SR22 program?

You must complete an existing SR22 requirement, even if you move to a state that does not have this program.* Getting a cross-state SR22 filing will release your driver’s license from the national registry, and you’ll be able to get a license in your new state.

* States without an SR22 program:

  • Delaware
  • Massachusetts
  • New York
  • Pennsylvania
  • New Jersey
  • Rhode Island
  • North Carolina
  • Kentucky
  • Oklahoma
  • New Mexico

What is SR22 insurance?

Many people have never heard of SR22 insurance unless they get a suspended driver’s license. SR22 is also known as an AAMVA Uniform Financial Responsibility Form. This certificate is filed with the state DMV to guarantee a person will remain insured for a specific time. This requirement usually lasts 1-3 years or up to 5 years in rare circumstances.

People who own a car file an SR22 certificate that’s endorsed to their auto insurance policy. Those who don’t own a vehicle file a non owner SR22 certificate tied to a non owner SR22 insurance policy. You can also get a cross-state SR22 without a car.

Reasons for high risk insurance

Violations that trigger the need for high risk insurance include:

  • Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI, DWI)
  • Uninsured driving
  • Driving without a valid license
  • Reckless driving
  • Too may points on a driver’s record
  • Having an at-fault accident or an at-fault accident without insurance
  • Child support
  • Legal judgment

Not all insurance companies can issue out of state SR22 filings, so make sure to check before you move or cancel your policy. You can count on UltraCar Insurance for all your insurance needs. We sell high-risk insurance in 34 states. Speak with a friendly, helpful agent for a free consultation and affordable quote!

This article was last updated on April 17th, 2023 by