Filing a Minnesota non owners insurance certificate allows you to reinstate your suspended license when you don’t own a vehicle. Depending on the offense, there may be a waiting period before license reinstatement is granted. In the case of DUI offenses, there is usually a 30-day to 180-day waiting period after all fines and fees have been paid for reinstatement to take effect.
Reasons you may have to carry SR22 insurance
- Driving without insurance coverage
- Refusing to take a breath or blood alcohol test
- DUI or DWI offenses
- Too many points against a driver’s DMV record
- Child support or neglect cases
- Legal judgments
How Minnesota non owners insurance works
Minnesota non owners insurance is a financial responsibility form (SR22 certificate) you must file with the Minnesota DMV as a condition for license reinstatement. The SR22 non owner certificate guarantees the state you will maintain the minimum required liability insurance for a future period of time. Most people who require Minnesota SR22 insurance will have to carry it for a period of three to five years.
Your SR22 insurance policy is monitored closely to ensure that it doesn’t lapse. If it does, your insurance provider is required to notify the Minnesota DMV by submitting an SR26 form, and your license will be suspended again.
Non owner insurance is liability-only coverage for drivers who do not own a vehicle. It is a secondary insurance policy that covers you when you drive a vehicle owned by another person. If you have an accident in which you’re at fault, the vehicle owner’s primary insurance pays claims until it reaches its coverage limits. If claims exceed the vehicle owner’s coverage, your non owner insurance pays those claims.
Limitations of non owner insurance
- It insures only people who don’t own a vehicle
- Written to cover one person only
- Does not cover household vehicles, rental vehicles, commercial vehicles
- Employment related vehicles are not covered
- It does not cover the non-owned vehicle you drive, or passengers in that vehicle
You’ll find helpful links about reinstating a Class D revoked or suspended license on the Minnesota DMV website.
Learn more about non owners insurance:
- What is non owners SR22 insurance?
- Non owner insurance coverage
- Non owner SR22 insurance companies
- Cheap non owners SR22 insurance
UltraCar Insurance provides fast Minnesota non owners insurance quotes at low rates. Talk with one of our licensed Minnesota non owners insurance agents or click to start an online quote now!
This article was last updated on June 5th, 2019 by UltraCar Insurance