One of the most common questions we’re asked about license reinstatement is, “what is my South Carolina SR22 insurance cost per month?” The cost can be anywhere between $60 to several hundred dollars per month. Your cost will be lower for a non owner SR22 insurance policy, and higher if you own a vehicle or want full coverage insurance. If your suspension is for a DUI offense, you’ll pay much higher premiums for South Carolina SR22 insurance.
Factors that affect your South Carolina SR22 insurance cost
These considerations play a major role in what you’ll pay for SR22 high risk insurance:
- Whether or not you own a vehicle
- The type of vehicle you own
- Whether you need liability or full coverage insurance
- The amount of miles driven in a year
- Your age
- The number of traffic violations accumulated within the past 3 years (points)
- The number of accidents on your driving record
- If you currently have insurance coverage
- The limits of liability
- The amount of coverage you want
- How long you’ve had insurance coverage without a lapse for the past year or more
- Whether you own a home
- Your credit history
More about SR22 insurance rates
- Points: When you accumulate too many points on your South Carolina driving record, your driver’s license will be suspended. To reinstate your driving privileges, you’ll have to carry SR22 insurance for 3 years. This means your insurance rate will likely be higher for that period of time.
- Reason for license suspension: The type or severity of the violation also impacts your rate, such as getting a speeding ticket vs getting a DUI/DWI or driving after revocation. Committing the same offense more than once: getting several speeding tickets or being at fault in more than one accident in a short period of time will have a greater negative impact on South Carolina SR22 insurance cost.
- Your age: A teenager’s premiums will be much higher insurance rate because of inexperience and higher risk.
- Your vehicle: South Carolina SR22 insurance cost will significantly increase if you own a car that needs to be insured. The vehicle make and model, price and age will impact your rate, as well as whether you want full or liability-only coverage. You’ll save on your insurance premium if you already carry insurance without any lapse of coverage.
Non Owner Insurance
How can I lower my insurance costs in the future?
South Carolina minimum liability coverage requirements:
Bodily Injury & Property Damage: 25/50/25
- $25,000 bodily injury per person
- $50,000 bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 Property Damage
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: 25/50
- $25,000 per person
- $50,000 per accident
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $25,000
- Under-insured Motorist Bodily Injury: Optional
- Under-insured Motorist Property Damage: Optional
- Medical Payments: Optional
South Carolina DMV
To learn more about reinstating a suspended driver’s license, visit the South Carolina DMV website.
Whether you need owner or non-owner SR22 insurance, UltraCar Insurance can file your certificate in under 20 minutes. Get same-day license reinstatement. Click to start your South Carolina SR22 insurance quote, or talk with one of our licensed agents. We’ll be glad to help you get the lowest possible South Carolina SR22 insurance cost.