If you want to reinstate your Missouri driver’s license and don’t own a vehicle, you’ll need to buy Missouri non owner SR22 insurance. Rather than insuring an owned vehicle, non owner insurance insures you when you drive a borrowed vehicle.
Reasons people need Missouri non owner SR22 insurance:
- Uninsured accidents
- Failure to consent to a DUI or DWI test
- DUI or DWI offenses/convictions
- Too many points on a DMV record
- A child support order
- A legal judgment
How does non owner insurance work?
When you buy Missouri non owner SR22 insurance, your insurance provider writes a non owner policy and attaches an SR22 financial responsibility form to that policy. The SR22 is filed with the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR), which is a prerequisite for license reinstatement. Because the financial responsibility certificate is a guarantee of future insurance coverage, it is monitored closely. This guarantees the state that you’re maintaining the required liability insurance coverage in return for reinstating your driving privileges.
Missouri non owner SR22 insurance is required for three years in most cases. It’s very important for you to keep it current without any lapse or cancellation during the time period assigned. If a lapse in coverage occurs, your insurance provider immediately notifies the state of Missouri by filing an SR26 form. This results in a repeat license suspension.
What does Missouri non owner insurance cover?
SR22 non owner insurance is secondary insurance that covers you when you operate a borrowed vehicle. If you cause an accident, the vehicle owner’s primary insurance is responsible for paying the accident claims first. If claims exceed the vehicle owner’s insurance coverage, your non owner SR22 insurance policy is second to pay claims that exceed those limits.
Limitations of non owner SR22 policies:
- Non owner insurance is only for people who don’t own a vehicle
- A non-owner policy is written for one individual only
- The coverage is liability only, since no vehicle is being insured
- Vehicles owned by others in your household are not covered
- Rental, commercial and employment related vehicles are not covered
- Non owner insurance does not cover the vehicle you are driving or passengers in it
- Only claims made by the other party injured or property damage caused are covered
More details about Missouri license reinstatement are outlined on the Missouri DOR website.
UltraCar Insurance works with top companies provide competitive non owner SR22 insurance quotes. Our agents will find a Missouri non owner SR22 insurance policy and rate to suit your needs. Click the button to start your quote, or call us today!
This article was last updated on May 10th, 2019 by UltraCar Insurance