FR44: How To Get It and How Long You Need To Keep It

Find out how we can streamline the FR44 insurance process for you, and get a low Virginia FR44 rate. Call us or start an online quote now!

Start Your Quote
An agent helping a client with an FR44 certificate in Virginia

Looking for Virginia FR44 insurance after a DUI license suspension?

A license suspension resulting from a DUI violation may leave you wondering how to get Virginia FR44 insurance and how long you need to keep it. You’ll want to look for a reputable high-risk insurance provider to help you with a suitable owner or non-owner policy. They will take care of filing your FR44 certificate with the DMV to reinstate your license.

Contrary to popular belief, FR44 certificates are not a type of auto insurance policy. Instead, they’re a legal form – a rider – attached to an insurance policy. A licensed insurance provider files the form with the state DMV to certify that you’ve got minimum state-mandated insurance coverage. This filing allows you to get back on the road after a license suspension. How long you need to keep this insurance depends on several factors.

In Virginia, when you have a DUI conviction for operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, you’ll need to file an FR44 certificate to reinstate your license. For license reinstatement after non-substance suspensions, your insurance provider will file an SR22 certificate on your behalf.

Where can you get FR44 insurance with reasonable premiums and how long will you need to keep it, considering you’re a high-risk driver now? Keep reading to learn all you need to know about the FR44 “certificate of financial responsibility” the state of Virginia requires to reinstate your driving privileges.

FR44 Insurance: What Does it Cover?

FR44 insurance provides coverage for bodily injuries and property damage you cause, just like standard auto insurance policies. The primary difference is that drivers with FR44 insurance must maintain higher liability coverage than non-high-risk drivers.

Individuals must carry FR44 insurance after a DUI or DWI violation in Virginia. The FR44 policy must have higher liability coverage amounts and costs more than standard auto insurance. Because of these high-risk factors, insurers calculate much higher premiums than standard auto insurance payments.

If You Don’t Own A Vehicle, Non-Owner FR44 Insurance is What You Need.

Some drivers need to get FR44 insurance even if they don’t own a vehicle. If this is your situation, you will be able to pay lower premiums with non-owner insurance from UltraCar Insurance.

Non-owner Virginia SR22 & FR44 insurance policies provide secondary liability coverage. (The vehicle owner’s primary auto insurance pays claims first.) Since you don’t own a vehicle, non-owner insurance doesn’t include collision and comprehensive coverage.

SR22 Coverage includes:

  • Bodily Injury: $30,000 / $60,000
  • Property Damage: $20,000
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $30,000 / $60,000
  • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $20,000

FR44 Coverage includes:

  • Bodily Injury: $60,000 / $120,000
  • Property Damage: $40,000
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $30,000 / $60,000
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $30,000 / $60,000

Woman driving a car with fr44 insurance

How Long Do You Need to Keep It?

The answer to this depends on the state where you reside. In Virginia, you must keep FR44 insurance for at least three years. However, the length of the requirement can be longer depending on the number and type of DUI violations.

What happens if your policy lapses before the FR44 requirement ends? In that case, the insurance company must notify the DMV that you no longer have insurance. Once you have no insurance coverage, it often leads to another license suspension and additional fines or fees.

Insurance carriers usually notify policyholders before their next premium payment or policy renewal date. However, we recommend you don’t count on that; keep a close check on these dates to avoid another suspension. If you do have a coverage lapse or have no prior insurance coverage, our agents will help you.

Add An FR44 Certificate To Your Auto Insurance Policy

Count on UltraCar Insurance when you need a Virginia FR44 certificate or SR22 insurance. Our experienced professionals will help make the process easy. We’ll find the best policy, coverage options, and rate for your situation. We have also partnered with  state specialists at Intoxalock® to help you meet your Ignition Interlock requirements cost-effectively.

Our high-risk auto insurance specialists are well-versed in the compliance laws of different states. They can help you get the best rates for personal auto, motorcycle, and non-owner insurance in Virginia. Contact us, call  888-551-1991, or begin an online quote to regain your driving privileges immediately.

Browse our blog posts for interesting topics and helpful information regarding SR22 and FR44 insurance!

This article was last updated on February 15th, 2023 by