NOTE: FFECTIVE FEBRUARY 2018 UltraCar Insurance does NOT offer non owner SR22 in Michigan. If you have a suspended license and you don’t own a vehicle, non owner SR22 insurance Michigan allows reinstatement of your license. Non owner SR22 insurance is a certificate of financial responsibility that’s filed with the Michigan DMV. It is high risk insurance with liability-only coverage.
Reasons people require non owner SR22 insurance:
- Uninsured accident
- Failure to submit to a breath or blood alcohol test
- DUI or DWI offenses
- Excessive points against a driver’s DMV record
- Child support order
- Legal judgment
How it works:
When you purchase non owner SR22 insurance Michigan, your insurance provider files the certificate with the Michigan Department of Motor Vehicles. This allows you to reinstate your license when other applicable fines or fees have been paid. The policy is monitored closely to guarantee that you keep the policy in force. If it lapses or is canceled during the probationary period, your insurance provider submits an SR26 filing to notify the DMV that you’re no longer insured. This results in license suspension.
The state of Michigan usually requires you to carry non owner SR22 insurance Michigan for three years. It’s a good idea to check with DMV to confirm how long you will be required to maintain the filing.
Non owner insurance coverage protects you against liability when driving a non-owned vehicle on an occasional basis. It is secondary insurance to a vehicle owner’s primary auto insurance. If you are involved in an at-fault accident, your insurance pays claims that exceed the coverage of the registered vehicle owner’s primary insurance.
Limitations of non owner insurance:
- It is written for one individual only
- Only for individuals who do not own a vehicle
- Liability only coverage
- Does not cover vehicles owned by others in your household or vehicles driven frequently
- It does not cover rental or commercial vehicles
- Does not cover you when driving employment-related vehicles
- It does not cover non-owned vehicles you drive, so any vehicle you drive must be insured by the registered owner
Effective February 2018 UltraCar Insurance does NOT offer non owner SR22 insurance in Michigan. However, if you own a car, truck or motorcycle, we do provide owner/owner-operator SR22 insurance Michigan.